Thursday, January 21, 2010
Let’s try to do some good here. I don’t have to tell you what is happening in Haiti and how they are in need of everything, but I was looking around my office the other day and came up with an idea that might give a small measure of help.
Here’s the deal – I have extra copies of some of my books (see list below). In exchange for a donation to the reputable charity of your choice, I’ll send you copy of the book signed by me.
All you have to do is the following:
1) Select a book from the list below.
2) Send me an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org that says “I’ll make a donation in exchange for [NAME OF BOOK]. When I receive and acknowledge your e-mail, the book is now reserved for you. If you want to get more than one book, send an e-mail for each.
3) Pick out the Haiti charity of your choice, such as the Red Cross, Doctors without Borders, UNICEF, etc. Write them a check for at least the minimum dollar amount listed next to each book.
4) Address and stamp an envelope to that charity and put the check in the envelope, but DO NOT seal it.
5) Then put that envelope in another envelope, along with your address and send it to me at Glenn Stout, PO BOX 549, Alburgh VT, 05440. DO NOT SEND ME CASH.
6) When I get your letter, I’ll open it, make sure you’ve enclosed a check and stamped envelope to your charity, seal it up and send it off for you, then send your book to you by media mail. No need to include postage
7) That’s all it takes. Yes, you could probably buy them cheaper, but they would not be signed, and that’s not really the point, is it?
Here is a list of the books available and the minimum donation I am asking for.
The Best American Sports Writing 1994, guest edited by Tom Boswell. Paperback. Two copies. $10 each
The Best American Sports Writing 2005, guest edited by Buzz Bissinger. Hardbound. Five copies. $15 each
The Best American Sports Writing 2005, guest edited by Mike Lupica. Hardbound. Two copies available. $15 each
The Best American Sports Writing 2007, guest edited by David Maraniss. Hardbound. Eight copies available. $15 each
The Best American Sports Writing 2008, edited by William Nack. Hardbound. Three copies available. $15 each
Everything They Had: Sports Writing from David Halberstam. Hardbound. One copy. $20 each [no longer available]
The Cubs: The Complete story of Chicago Cubs Baseball. This is a big, beautiful, giant text-heavy illustrated book. Hardbound. Four copies. $40 each
If these sell out maybe I’ll poke through some more boxes and see if I have any others. And if you feel like sending more than what I ask, well, you’ll feel even better and we’ll do more good.